Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eating like a Cavewoman

Have you ever heard of the Paleo Diet aka Paleolithic or Caveman Diet?

source
Well, I had never heard about it until very recently through a few blogs that I read.  Since I didn't know what it was all about, I did some research to educate myself on this "Paleo diet."  I was immediately intrigued.  It's not really a diet, but a lifestyle that includes foods that our bodies thrived on two million years ago (before the agricultural revolution).  These foods include:  lean meats, fish, vegetables, fruits and nuts.  Foods to avoid are grains, legumes, refined sugar, vegetable oils and dairy products.

I have been making a huge effort to eat well and exercise consistently for almost a year now and I can see changes in my body and I just feel better than I used to.  However, I feel like I could still clean up my food intake so I decided to try this Paleo lifestyle.  My mom, sister and Greg are all in too.

We are almost a week in and it has actually been easier than I originally expected.  The key is to eat in for most meals.  We hit the grocery store earlier in the week and stocked up on fruits, veggies, eggs, and meats.

Here's what a day in food has looked like:

Breakfast - Two eggs + slice of all-natural turkey bacon with side of strawberries
Lunch - Chicken, avocado, cucumber, and tomato wrapped in lettuce with almonds on the side or another veg/fruit
Dinner - Fish/other protein + two veggies (sweet potatoes, asparagus, mixed veg)
Snacks - fruit, vegetables, nuts, smoothie, etc.

So far so good!  We plan to have one night a week where we indulge in pasta or a milkshake or some other yummy treat.  I definitely feel less "puffy" than I do when I start my morning with oatmeal or have pasta for dinner.  I will update you on how we progress with this new lifestyle.


Have you ever tried the Paleo Diet?  If so, what advice or information can you share?  Do you think it is a good way to live or not so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment