After looking through a bajillion amazing recipes online, Greg and I decided that we would try a few out today. We ran to the store to pick up ingredients for slow cooker chicken chili, rosemary olive oil bread, and pumpkin doggie treats.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Chili (adapted from Food Network)
|Cook on low for 6-8 hours|
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put chicken in slow cooker.
- Add all of the rest ingredients
- Stir everything together and cover
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours
- Serve yourself a helping on chili and top with cheese, sour cream, fritos or whatever your heart desires
Since the recipe called for brown rice flour, which we couldn't find at the store, I googled and found that you can make your own if you have brown rice on hand. Therefore, after blending the shiat out of the rice, we ended up with brown rice flour!
Brown rice flour is supposed to be much easier for pups to digest and it is also great for gluten-free recipes.
|Greg at work|
|Dog bones, pumpkin, baseball bat, bacon strip, ghost, football, baseball, pretzel, little big-necked man, hearts and a smiley face - wow are we unique!|
After baking for 20 minutes, it was time to flip these suckers over to bake for another 20 minutes... as you can see, it didn't go too smoothly
They aren't the prettiest things, but Maya is actually enjoying them.. thank goodness since they were quite some work ;)
Pumpkin Dog TreatsIngredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk together eggs and pumpkin til smooth.
- Stir in dry milk and salt
- Add brown rice flour gradually to form a stiff, dry dough
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface
- Roll dough out and shape biscuits in any shape you'd like!
- Place shapes on cookie sheet
- Bake 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and turn biscuits over
- Bake an addition 20 minutes
- Cool completely before giving one to your pup!
Hope you're having a great Saturday. It's gym time for us!