Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Food-Filled Saturday

After helping out with the kid's running program at the Y this morning, I made a pit stop at Dunkin' Donuts for iced coffee.  I'd take iced coffee over hot coffee anyday! 

When I got home, I decided to cook up some pancakes.  I threw some ingredients together and the batter turned out surprisingly well.

Here's what I conjured up:
  • 1/3ish cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbs whole wheat flour
  • 1 small banana
  • 1 small scoop vanilla protein powder
  • Couple dashes of cinnamon
  • Splash of milk

The batter made two good size pancakes.  I topped them with a tad of syrup - yummy!  Those bad boys held me over for a long time - much longer than the typical flour-based pancakes.

I hung out with Maya for a while before making a trip to the store to get ingredients for homemade granola bars and chicken salad.  I used Anne's recipe as a guide for the bars, but omitted a few things that I couldn't find at the store or just didn't want to spend money on.


That's oats, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, ground flax seed, peanut butter, vanilla extract and honey (instead of brown rice syrup).  I'm afraid I didn't use enough liquid to make it meld together, but should be delicious either way. 

I then threw two chicken breasts into the crock pot with some chicken broth to cook while I did my workout for the day.  I did Tina's travel WOD, "Hump Day."

2012-05-31_0630
source
AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible) 1 = 3 rounds, AMRAP 2 = 2.75 rounds, AMRAP 3 = 3 rounds.  I was a huffin' and a puffin' during the whole thing.  Awesome workout and only took 17 minutes woo hoo!

After stretching and cooling down, I started preparing the ingredients to go into the chicken salad: celery, grapes and almonds.

2012-06-02_13-39-39_760.jpg

I mixed the shredded chicken with a heaping spoonful of plain greek yogurt and a small spoonful of light mayo.  Then I threw in the chopped ingredients, added a little salt and pep, and stirred it all up!  Easy peasy chicken salad:

2012-06-02_13-49-51_724.jpg
I made little pretzel crisp sandwiches with the chicken salad and had a string cheese on the side for lunch.  Greg and I have been on a string cheese kick lately.. feels like I'm back in elementary school :)  It's so dang good!

Well, I'm off to take Maya for a good walk.  Have a great Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment